- Matriculation certificate with University exemption, or similar Grade 12 qualification (APS-score of 21-28).
- A good command of the English Language
General admission requirements:
- To be admitted to the B.Ed degree in the Faculty of Education Sciences you are required to have passed grade 12 (NQF level 4) with matriculation APS Score: The results obtained in four Designated Subjects and and twi NCS subjects are used in the computation of the APS-score. Life Orientation is excluded.
- Language Requirement: A pass at level 4 (50-59 %) in the language of instruction on either the Home or First Additional Language level.
- A candidate who did not comply to the minimum university entrance requirements, but obtained a rating score between 21 and 28, may be admitted to the B.Ed bridging programme that offers degree crediting bearing courses after the candidate has demonstrated, in a selection process approved by the Senate and Matriculation Board, that s/he is suitable for admission to the University
Calculating the APS Score:
- The results of 6 subjects are used to determine the APS score.
- The achievement in Life Orientation (LO) will not be rated in computing the APS-score. A achievement level of 5 in LO and higher will be regarded as a recommendation for admission in boundary cases and admission to certain programmes. A pass level at level 3 bis required to obtain a NSC.
- A student who achieves one or two APS scale points less than required for a specific study course, may at the discretion of Senate be admitted conditionally to a particular field of study. Such a student must prove by successful completion of a Senate-approved admission examination, registered with the Matriculation Board, that he/she has the ability to be admitted to university studies.
A student who achieves three or four APS scale points less than required for a specific study course, may after the successful completion of a Senate-approved admission examination and a Senate-approved bridging programme, be admitted by way of a Senate discretionary exemption to a particular field of study.
A student who obtains Discretionary Exemption may be admitted to certain study programmes on certain conditions.
Screening Model: Determining of the APS
NSC Rating Code APS Score 8 (90-100%) 8 7 (80-89%) 7 6 (70-79%) 6 5 (60-69%) 5 4 (50-59%) 4 3 (40-49%) 3 2 (30-39%) 2 1 (0-29%) 1
Faculty specific admission requirements:
A student wishing to take:
- Mathematics as elective module is required to have passed mathematics with at least 55 % in the matriculation examination.
- Mathematical Literacy as elective module is required to have passed Mathematics with at least 50 % or Mathematical Literacy with 65 %.
- the FET Technology Programme is required to have passed Mathematics with at least 40 % in the matriculation examination or 60 % in Mathematical Literacy.
- English as an elective module is required to have passed English Home Languages with at least 50 % in the matriculation examination, or English First Additional Language with at least 60 %.
- Physical Science or Life Sciences as an elective module is required to have passed Physical Science or Life Sciences with at least 50 % in the Matriculation examination.
- Accounting as an elective module is required to have passed Accounting with at least 50 % in the matriculation examination. Or to have passed another examination in the above subjects that the Senate deem equivalent to the above mentioned standards.
Closing date for applications 2013